Matcha Sauce – vegan, low GI and refined sugar free
By Norma MerrettFebruary 27, 2017
This matcha sauce is vegan and free from refined sugars! If you’ve ever gone to the grocery store and taken the time to read the labels on condiments, you’ll have seen that so many spreads and sauces nowadays are full of trans fats, high fructose corn syrup (HFCS) and unhealthy, processed sweeteners. An easy way to combat this issue is to make it yourself! This matcha sauce has just the right amount of sweetness working with the matcha to bring out the natural flavor. The Dolcedi apple syrup is a natural sweetener that is perfect for this recipe because it has a neutral flavor and that doesn’t overpower the matcha. This matcha sauce is also low in fat and low on the glycemic index so it won’t send your blood sugar skyrocketing. The coconut milk adds a rich creaminess while providing a good dose of healthy fats. It is also quick and easy to prepare so you’re only minutes from adding this matcha sauce to your condiment caddy!
Feel free to enjoy this matcha sauce hot or cold. Personally, I like to warm it up because it has a more syrupy consistency. On the other hand my husband likes it cold and straight from the fridge, because he says it makes for a good toast topper.
Have this sauce on hand for topping waffles or pancakes, drizzle it over ice cream, or add it to a smoothie or latte for a touch of sweetness. A great way to enjoy this matcha sauce is to layer it with yogurt and granola for a matcha yogurt parfait. Stay tuned for a recipe!
Yield: Approx. 1 1/3 cups
- Whisk the matcha with boiling water.
- Next, stir in the apple syrup and a pinch of salt and set aside.
- In a small bowl, combine the cornstarch and additional water until smooth.
- In a saucepan combine the coconut milk, vanilla, cornstarch mixture and matcha mixture.
- Heat slowly, stirring constantly until the mixture comes to a rolling boil.
- Continue stirring for 3-4 minutes until the mixture thickens slightly.
- Cool completely and store in the refrigerator until needed.
*Adjust to taste, ¼ cup provides a barely sweet matcha sauce but lets the matcha come through.