No products in the cart.
Autumn has arrived and the change of seasons often brings the inevitable common cold upon us. We thought it would be good to give you a rundown of OTC cold medicine in Japan. Hope for the best, but plan for the worst. If the OTC cold medicine in Japan is not doing the trick, please make sure to see a doctor.
Whether you are experiencing coughing, runny nose, a slight fever, or what have you, it’s important to choose the right medicine for your symptoms. Here are the major OTC cold medicines in Japan to make the normally confusing quest for the right drugs an easier experience.
The following compounds and products are found in OTC cold medicines and tackle specific symptoms. The trick is to look on the back of the box and choose the right ones for your condition.
Dihydrocodeine Phosphate（ジヒドロコデインリン酸塩）, etc.
Bromhexine Hydrochloride（ブロムヘキシン塩酸塩）, etc.
All-Purpose Cold Medicines（総合風邪薬）
Runny nose, stuffy nose, coughing, phlegm, sore throat, fever, chills, headaches, sneezing, joint pains, muscular pains. Some choices come in Tablet（錠剤）or Powder（微粒）
Shin Ruru A Gold DX – 新ルルAゴールドDX・
- Safe for family members from ages 7+ (max 3 times per day)
- (Per Use) Ages 15+ 3 tablets, Ages 11-14 2 tablets, Ages 7-10 1 tablet
Pabron S Gold – パブロンSゴールド・
- Safe for family members from ages 5+ (max 3 times per day)
- (Per Use) Ages 15+ 3 tablets, Ages 11-14 2 tablets, Ages 5-10 1 tablet
- Tablet（錠剤）and Powder（微粒）
Benza Block Series (S, L, IP) – ベンザブロックシリーズ・
- Benza Block S (Yellow): For colds that start from the nose
- Benza Block L (Silver): For colds that start from the throat
- Benza Block IP (Blue): For colds that start from a fever
Contac General Cold Medicine – 新コンタックかぜ総合・
- Take twice a day (Morning and Night)
- (Per Use) Ages 15+ 2 capsules, Ages 7-14 1 capsule
Ruru Attack EX – ルルアタックEX・
- For colds with sore throats, high fever
- 2 tablets per use (max 3 times per use)
- Not for ages 15 and under
Kaigen – 改源
- Relieves: coughing, phlegm, sore throat, fever, chills, headaches, joint pains, muscular pains
- Combination of Chinese remedies & Western medicine
- Non-drowsy, Capsule（カプセル）and Powder（微粒）
- Safe for family members from ages 1+ (max 3 times per day)
- (Per Use) Ages 15+ 1 pouch, Ages 11-15 2/3 pouch, Ages 7-11 1/2 pouch, Ages 3-7 1/3 pouch, Ages 1-3 1/4 pouch
Kakkontou Ekisu Karyu A Kracie – 葛根湯エキス顆粒Aクラシエ・
- Chinese medicine (Kanpou) for early stages of a cold (fever, chills, etc.) and stiff shoulders
- Granule (packs)
- Safe for family members from ages 4+ (max 3 times per day) to be taken before/during meals
- (Per Use) Ages 15+ 1 pack, Ages 7-14 2/3 pack, Ages 4-7 1/2 pack
* Note: This article is for general informational purposes only and is not intended to provide professional advice. Please read warning labels before consuming any medications. If unsure which medications to take, please consult a professional.
Image courtesy of Mr. GC at freedigitalphotos.net