Stir fries are such an easy, healthy weeknight dinner option and this recipe for ginger mushroom stir fry with mashed potatoes has a delicious secret! Not only does ginger feature in this recipe, giving it a distinctly asiatic flavor with a deliciously fresh aroma, but it is sweetened naturally and healthily with carob syrup!
This recipe for ginger mushroom stir fry with mashed potatoes uses carob syrup to sweeten it naturally. Carob syrup is a nutritive sweetener with a taste similar to chocolate, which is why it is a good stand in for those allergic to cocoa. Another reason carob can be a substitute for chocolate is because it doesn’t contain theobromine or caffeine. In Cyprus, we call carob syrup “black gold”. It is often used as a natural sweetener but since ancient times, it has been a traditional remedy for coughs and sore throat. It’s also nutritionally rich as it contains more than 3 times the calcium of milk. Carob syrup also contains high levels of iron, phosphorous and fiber.
Ginger is a superfood with many anti-oxidant properties. This spice also provides distinct freshness when use in the ginger mushroom stir fry with mashed potatoes. It calms your stomach and relieves nausea, along with alleviating many other gastrointestinal issues and indigestion. Learn more on the health benefits of ginger in our infographic!
This asian inspired recipe for ginger mushroom stir fry with mashed potatoes is a great main course for any dinner party. Your guests will be especially surprised and delighted when you tell them about the many superfoods and special ingredient hidden in this dish!
Yield: enough for 4-5 people
PREP TIME 10 MIN
COOKING TIME 30 MIN
500 gr oyster mushrooms
1 large onion
Rainbow peppers (½ yellow, ½ orange, ½ red)
3-4 tablespoon olive oil for frying
2 bay leaves
1 tablespoon fresh or dry thyme
1 clove garlic minced
1 teaspoon grated fresh ginger
5 tablespoons carob syrup or agave syrup
Salt and Pepper
80 ml water
1 teaspoon corn flour
5 potatoes medium size
2 garlic cloves
1 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon vegetable broth
juice of ½ lemon
3-4 tablespoons of olive oil
- Peel the potatoes and cut into cubes.
- Place the potatoes in a large saucepan.
- Chop the leeks and add them to the potatoes and cover with hot water.
- Bring to a boil over medium-high heat.
- Add 1 tsp of sea salt and the vegetable broth then cover and cook for 25-30 minutes or until very tender.
- Once tender, drain the potatoes and place them back in the hot pot off the heat for 1 minute to evaporate any additional water.
- Transfer the potatoes to a large mixing bowl.
- Mash the potatoes.
- Add the olive oil, lemon juice, black pepper and stir to combine.
- Taste and adjust seasonings as needed.
- Finely chop the onion.
- Add olive oil to a large saucepan over medium heat.
- Then add the chopped onion and season with a pinch of salt and pepper.
- Cook for 3-4 minutes or until the onions are caramelized.
- Add 2 tablespoons of carob syrup, stir well, remove the onions and set aside.
- Slice the mushrooms into strips.
- Add the mushrooms to a large saucepan with 2 tablespoons of olive oil and cook for about 2-3 minutes,
- add the cooked onions, bay leaves, thyme, garlic, ginger, the rest of the carob syrup, salt, pepper and water.
- Cook covered on low heat for about 15 minutes.
- Slice the peppers into thin strips and the carrot into matchsticks.
- When the mushrooms are ready, add the peppers and carrots to the saucepan and cook for one minute.
- Dissolve the corn flour with 4 tablespoons of water and pour into the pan.
- Stir well, cook for another one minute. Set aside.
- Serve with the mashed potatoes when you’re ready.
Nutritive sweeteners are all the rage now because you can get important vitamins and minerals with that added touch of sweetness in your cooking. Carob syrup naturally brings out the flavor of the oyster mushrooms and pairs perfectly with the mashed potatoes for an inspired Greek-Asian fusion dish!
About En Healthy
The ‘EN HEALTHY’ team aims to enhance quality of life by promoting healthy diet as an integral part of contemporary lifestyle.
Our goal is to spread joy and satisfaction through easy, colorful, mouth watering and nutritious recipes. We never use sugar, dairy or any animal products and it’s amazing how tasty a plant based diet could be. Stay tuned on HealthyTOKYO for an upcoming series of articles presenting some of the healthiest nature’s wonders, their nutritional benefits, photos, recipes and much more!
As you will discover there are many ways of making all your favorite foods healthier, delicious and nutritious!
You can find more of our healthy recipes on our website, facebook and instagram.
Raw Grated Ginger
Get ginger, shipped straight to your door!
Buy a delicious mix of mushrooms
Get authentic Irish Cobbler mashed potatoes here!
The Health Benefits of GingerFind out why ginger is good for you!