Why you should eat pomegranate – The nutritional benefits of pomegranate
– One cup of pomegranate only contains 144 calories.
– It is a good source of fiber
– It contains vitamins A, C, E and K
– It contains iron and many other antioxidants
Studies have also shown why you should eat pomegranate by discovering its many therapeutic effects.
– Can inhibit abnormal platelet aggregation that could cause heart attacks, strokes and embolic diseases
– Pomegranate extract have the ability to slow down cancer cell reproduction and even induce cell death in cancer deaths
– Can help to reduce inflammation in patients who suffer from arthritis
– It can also improve memory in patients after a surgery
– Lowers cholesterol and other cardiac risk factors
– Lowers blood pressure
– May be beneficial against depression
– May help people suffering from osteoporosis
Nutritional analysis by Polyvios Nikolaou Dietician-Nutritionist BSc
Pomegranate Tabbouleh Salad
1 1/2 cup (290 gr) bulgur (cracked wheat)
2 cups (560 ml) hot water
salt and pepper (up to taste)
1/2 (120 gr) yellow bell pepper
1/2 (120 gr) orange bell pepper
1/2 (50 gr) red onion
10-12 cherry tomatoes
1 pomegranate, peeled and seeds separated
Juice from 1 or 2 lemons (up to taste)
2 cups finely chopped parsley
7-8 tablespoons olive oil (up to taste)
3-4 tablespoons grape syrup or agave syrup
- Place bulgur in a large bowl, mix in 2 cups boiling water. Let stand for 15-20 minutes until bulgur is tender and water is absorbed.
- Finely chop onion, yellow and orange pepper in small cubes. Cut cheery tomatoes in quarters.
- Mix in a bowl the bulgur, tomatoes, parsley, 1/2 of the pomegranate seeds, onions and peppers. Add olive oil, lemon juice and toss to blend. Season with salt and pepper. Taste and adjust flavor adding more salt, pepper or more lemon juice.
- Top it with the rest of the pomegranate seeds.
- Drizzle with the grape syrup or agave syrup.
- Refrigerate and let stand at least 30 minutes to blend flavors.
Pomegranate and Ginger Juice
1 cup pomegranate arils + 1-2 tablespoons more for garnish
1 tablespoon grated ginger
1 tablespoon honey
2 cups cold Water
½ cup ice cubes
Juice of half a lemon
- Put all ingredients in a blender and blend for 5 seconds, no more than that.
- Strain the mixture in a cheese cloth. Taste and adjust as needed, adding more honey.
- Add the juice into two glasses and serve with crushed ice and garnish pomegranate arils.
You can also read on the health benefits of ginger, to see why this drink isn’t something to look over!